A major source of germs in your home

How clean is your kitchen? Probably not as clean as you think -- because the average American kitchen is crawling with germs.

You'll probably find more bacteria in your kitchen than you will in your bathroom.

There are germs in your sink, germs on your sponge, germs on your counter and more.

And some of the worst of these ugly bugs -- the ones most likely to make you and your family sick -- are probably on your cutting board.

The problem isn't that you didn't clean it. Of course you cleaned it, right? It's that the powerful new germs turning up in your meat are stronger than ordinary soap and water.

As a result, a new study out of Switzerland finds that 3.5 percent of all household cutting boards are crawling with multidrug-resistant E. coli bacteria.

That may not sound like a big number, but that adds up to millions of cutting boards infected with disease-causing germs -- and you can bet the numbers are even higher here in the United States, where animals on factory farms are routinely given high doses of antibiotics.

The drugs make them fat, and help them to survive the cramped and horrific conditions. But the overuse of the drugs on factory farms has also led to the rise of drug-resistant germs -- and those germs end up in your meat and on your cutting board.

These superbugs have become so common in meat that when Consumer Reports tested 300 packages of supermarket chicken, they found disease-causing bacteria in 97 percent of them, and drug-resistant germs in half.

And last year, government tests found disease-causing bacteria in 87 percent of 480 meat samples, with superbugs in half.

So there are two actions to take here.

First, buy only organic meats. Because the animals can't be given antibiotics, you're less likely to encounter drug-resistant germs.

You'll also get safer, healthier and better-tasting foods.

And second, keep your cutting board clean -- and that means more than just soap and water. Use 3 percent hydrogen peroxide.

Spill some onto the board, rub it in with a clean dishtowel or a paper towel and then rinse it off.