"Biofilm" is a word you don't hear everyday. But if you wear dentures, it's something you're exposed to every time you pop them in.
It's a thin film of goo that covers the dentures. Most people assume it's normal, since anything you put in your mouth for hours at a time (or more) is going to get pretty wet and sticky.
But the biofilm is more than just saliva. It's a layer of bacteria, and if you wear dentures you could be giving some of the worst-of-the-worst bugs a free ride right into your mouth -- including drug-resistant germs such as MRSA.
And if you're thinking disease-causing bugs in your mouth is a bad idea, you're exactly right.
Fortunately, a new study finds an easy way to kill these bugs -- and that's to nuke them. Just pop your dentures into the microwave for three minutes, and the germs will all be killed.
Obviously, don't try putting your dentures into your mouth right away, since they'll be pretty hot at that point.
If you don't like to use the microwave (and I don't blame you), or if your dentures have metal parts and can't be microwaved, then soak them in a solution of 2 percent chlorhexidine gluconate for at least 10 minutes.
That's an antiseptic you can find in many stores or online.
Either option killed 100 percent of all the bacteria in the biofilm in a series of recent tests, the results of which were published in the Journal of the American Dental Association.
The researchers also tried a solution of sodium hypochlorite -- but since that one only worked in the short-term, stick to either chlorhexidine gluconate or the nuclear option.
In addition, skip the toothpaste and regular toothbrush and use a stiff brush with plain old soap and water.
Just be sure to take them out of your mouth first.